As I ponder the three questions from the Evans chapter, I'm drawn back to Jim Collins description of Level 5 leaders. These leaders, like authentic leaders, are driven by an innate quality that is impervious to outside forces. Their sense of integrity and commitment to their values overpowers the influences of family, higher level administrators, and naysayers. These two ideas, of the humble, yet willful Level 5 leaders and the authentic, savvy leaders, seem to overlap in an interesting way.
Dr. K asked us to think about the 3 questions on page 146. I'm going to answer these based on how I see myself and how I see leaders whom I admire.
1. How do I define my role as a leader? Well, right now, my leadership role is mostly as an instructor and occasionally in a departmental setting. This describes my duties, but not necessarily my role. I think of myself as mostly a facilitator. I tell my students that the only reason I'm at the front of the classroom instead of sitting down with them is because I've already been the one sitting, so now I have an opportunity to share with and learn from them.
The leaders I have found to be most effective in my work were often ones that I considered to be caring leaders; they cared about the people around them, the students we serve, and themselves (perhaps an important but sometimes overlooked link ?).
2. What inspires the best in staff? Again, I'll speak from an instructor's point of view. My students respond best when I emphasize, clearly, that they are capable of achieving what I have set out for them and that I will help them achieve their goals, if possible.
When I am in the position of a staff member, I respond best when leaders meet and try to help with actual needs. What do I mean by this phrase, actual needs? Well, I've been in situations where the leadership designed a "learning opportunity" for faculty that was basically a motivational speech ("students are gifts."). This activity did nothing to inspire me; in fact, I was almost resentful of the time spent in the workshop (papers to grade, emails to answer, etc...). However, similar but different workshops devoted to really understanding the institution and our role in the goal of the institution were very much appreciated and inspirational.
3. What are my strengths? Ahh, the 10 million (inflation) dollar question. I just don't know the answer to this question right now. I can make some guesses: determination, caring, interest in achievement. But, when it comes down to it, I'm just not sure what my major strengths are and how I would rely upon those strengths as a leader.
As to the leaders' strengths that I admire, one is charisma. A man that I know exudes from his pores a commitment to excellence. One day with him inspires you to consider running, not just a few miles, but a marathon. That's what I'd like my strength to be.
I keep thinking of Google's motto: Never settle for the best. I wonder how this would play out in the classroom if we could convince every single student to believe in that principle.
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Melissa,
ReplyDeleteLove your comments! On the second question, you said that you try to let your students know that they are capable of doing what you've asked of them, and that you want to help them achieve their goals. Immediately when I read this, I thought about this weeks reading. In chapter 11, one statement really struck a cord with me..."we must change the message from "learn or we will hurt you" to "learn or you will hurt yourself". I think that you're thinking like this is one of the things that will lead you to be a very successful leader...
And...I have to say, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who didn't really know how to answer question #3!!! :)
Melissa and Jessica,
ReplyDeleteQuestion #3 was an interesting question because I think we all have difficulty "bragging" on ourselves. In many classes for my EdS degree, we have to constantly list our strengths. But now that I am in my 3rd year as an assistant principal, I have found that these strengths have changed some.
Melissa,
About the fact that you were answering this question from an instructors point of view, I think that is exactly the same as from the point of view of a school administrator. I have seen many similarities betweem the way I motivated and treated my 1st grade students as I do with the faculty and staff. There is a lot to learn from the instructors point of view. Especially the fact that you have been in the shoes of the teachers you will one day lead.
Thanks for a great post!