First of all, I'd like to say I hope everyone had a fun, turkey or tofurkey filled day. I am so grateful to have been able to spend the day with my family and to have a bit of time this week and weekend to get caught up on all the school work left to finish up the semester.This post will be written in the theme of Thanksgiving about Chapter 21, the chapter on gender and race in education leadership.
First of all, I'm thankful that in this chapter I was finally able to see how a literature review leads to a research question and how that question develops from the leadership review. I have had the hardest time seeing this concept this semester, so it was nice to have it finally come together.
Secondly, I'm thankful for the fact that I could recognize some potential gaps in this research. Much of the data presented was now out-of-date, so clearly this topic is one that could do with some updating and a look at where we are now on this topic. This moment is one I'm thankful for because it makes me feel like what I'm learning in Dr. Lindle's class combined with Dr. Knoeppel's is finally starting to come together.
Finally, I suppose that this article made me thankful to be reading and discussing this type of topic; finding a way to make the world a better place for all people is something that I hold as one of my highest values. Banks and her research is just one more piece that contributes to this.
Melissa-
ReplyDeleteI know that was one of the hardest things for me to realize as well in terms of framing a research question. Would you consider any of the topics in Chapter 21 as a way to frame your research topic or are you thinking of a different area?
Hi Melissa,
ReplyDeleteNicely stated. I too have struggled with both the research question and additionally understanding the lit review and how to critique scholarly articles to determine if they are significant advances. Like you, I think I am growing in these areas, but need more practice.
Indeed, ch. 21 provides a helpful example of how a lit review can inform a research question. I'll be excited to read your research question.